Clothing Answers

What do you called a middle age floor length robe with large cut out armholes?

The type of surcoat or overdress you describe was only fashionable for a short period during the 14th century (around 1325 to 1350). It was called surcote, meaning something worn over the cote or dress (sometimes a tight-fitting cotehardie) and it was closely related to the heraldic surcoat worn by knights over their armour.

The link below takes you to an image of the surcoat over a cotehardie:
Hots dresses